Review Quotes on Radeon HD 4800
"ATI Radeon IS Back!"
Some excerpts taken from the conclusion part of the above reviews:
- XbitLabs "Besides serious gaming potential, simple design and low price, ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics accelerators boast a number of unique qualities that are absent by their main competitor. Namely, they support VC-1 decoding, advanced BD profiles and have a fully-functional audio core capable of outputting multi-channel HD sound."
- TechSpot "Overall the Radeon HD 4850 has proven to be a real winner, and possibly one the best $200 graphics cards we have ever reviewed."
- Anandtech "The fact of the matter is that by NVIDIA's standards, the 4870 should be priced at $400 and the 4850 should be around $250. You can either look at it as AMD giving you a bargain or NVIDIA charging too much"
- Firingsquad "The Radeon HD 4850 completely shatters what you expect out of a $200 graphics card" "ATI�s Radeon HD 4870 often comes close to, or eclipses the GeForce GTX 260 in performance (in BioShock the 4870 was actually faster than GTX 280) for $100 less!"
- Neoseeker "The VisionTek Radeon HD 4850 is lean, slick, and a stick of dynamite in a knife fight when up against the competition. Delivering a product to the market for $199 that packs this much punch is almost shockingly refreshing."
- TechPowerUp "Overall I think the Radeon HD 4850 is the best card on the market right now if you are on a limited budget, yet want to be able to play all the latest and greatest titles out there."
- BootDaily "There is no other card for under $200 which we can recommend more highly than the Radeon HD 4850 as it offers up unparalleled performance in single-card use for its price and comes awfully close to besting the performance of NVIDIA�s �mighty� GeForce 280GTX in CrossFire mode." "A pair of the 4850�s provides an insane amount of GPU power which offers up a far more compelling performance-per-watt value than anything NVIDIA can currently muster."
- Overclocker's Club "I had expected to see some great numbers from the new card, however what I saw was way beyond what I expected."
Radeon® HD 4800 4850 4870 Series
ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series � Overview ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series GPUs bring the power of graphics ‘supercomputing’ to gamers, setting a new standard for visual computing. Redefine the way you play and take HD gaming to the extreme with best-in-class performance. With one teraFLOPS on tap, the TeraScale graphics engine delivers an immersive, cinematic gaming experience. Add this graphics card to your PC and watch Blu-ray movies and play HD content with incredible visual fidelity or take your experience to another level with new multimedia capabilities. Do it all with break-through efficiency that doesn’t compromise performance.
Redefine HD Gaming
With more than twice the processing power of previous generation AMD discrete graphics cards, ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series graphics cards deliver a cinematic gaming experience and unprecedented performance.
The new TeraScale graphics engine combines the power of one teraFLOPS, 800 stream processors and next generation GDDR5 memory to propel you deep into your gameplay with seamless frame rates and high resolutions.
Enhanced anti-aliasing (AA) and anisotropic filtering create striking graphics with unparalleled realism so you can max out the settings of the most demanding next-generation games or revitalize your favorite titles.
Play today while preparing for tomorrow with tessellation, support for DirectX® 10.1 and scalable ATI CrossFireX™ technology.
Go Beyond HD Video
Add an ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series graphics card to your PC and watch the latest Blu-ray and HD movies play with incredible fidelity1 – upscale to nearly twice the display resolution of HD content.2 Take full advantage of Blu-ray functionality with dual-stream, picture in picture (PIP) capabilities.
Sophisticated new features within ATI Avivo™ HD technology give you the freedom and flexibility to edit videos quickly and convert them to H.264 and MPEG-2 formats 1.8x faster than real-time.3
Support for the latest audio visual interconnects ensures you can take advantage of the latest display technology.
Like their predecessors, the ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series graphics cards offer optimal performance and break-through efficiency with platform-independent intelligent power management.
Regardless of platform, these graphics cards deliver the power needed to blaze through even the most intense games while intuitively conserving energy at idle or when demand is low.
- ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series – Key Features
- TeraScale Graphics Engine - The new TeraScale graphics engine features over one teraFLOPS, nearly one billion transistors and 800 stream processors so you can enjoy the high resolutions and fast frame rates previously only available with dual-card systems.
- Advanced Memory - GDDR5 memory provides twice the bandwidth per pin of GDDR3.
- Enhanced Anti-Aliasing & Anisotropic Filtering - High performance anisotropic filtering and 24x custom filter anti-aliasing (CFAA) smooth jagged edges and create true-to-life graphics, for everything from grass to facial features.
- DirectX® 10.1 - Play today while preparing for tomorrow with state-of-the-art DirectX 10.1 graphics capabilities.
- ATI CrossFireX™ Technology - ATI CrossFireX™ technology with up to quad GPU support offers superior scalability so your system is ready to level up when you are.
- PCI Express 2.0 - Support for PCI Express 2.0 will prepare you for bandwidth-hungry games and 3D applications.
- Unified Video Decoder 2 (UVD 2) - UVD 2 frees up your CPU for other tasks so you get The Ultimate Visual Experience™ for even the most processing-intensive content, including VC-1, H.264 and now MPEG-2. Also, take full advantage of Blu-ray functionality with dual-stream, picture in picture (PIP) capabilities.
- Accelerated Video Transcoding (AVT) - AVT allows you to convert videos to H.264 and MPEG-2 formats up to 19x faster than when using a just CPU.3 Full 1080p files can be converted to H.264 and MPEG-2 up to 1.8x faster than real-time.3
- Upscale Beyond 1080p - Watch the hottest Blu-ray movies or other HD content at full 1080p display resolution and beyond.1
- Enhanced DVD Upscaling - Watch standard DVD movies in near high-definition quality with DVD upscaling. The GPU uses post processing algorithms to enhance standard and low resolution videos and movies on your HD display.
- Dynamic Contrast - Dynamic Contrast automatically adjusts the contrast and brightness during scenes to consistently deliver a crisp, vibrant picture.
- HDMI - Enjoy the latest audio technologies using HDMI with 7.1 digital surround sound support. Also, xvYCC support allows the user to enjoy a wider range of color when connected to a capable HDTV.
- Dynamic Power Management - ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series graphics cards deliver high performance when needed and conserve power when the demand on the graphics processor is low.
- More Performance Per Watt -
ATI Radeon HD 4800 series delivers up to 2x
the performance per watt of AMD’s previous
1 HD capable monitor required
2 The ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series GPUs can upscale video display to 2560x1600 on dual-link monitors which is almost twice the display resolution of 1080p displays.
3 This may vary depending on your system configuration and video formats. Using an Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 GHz based PC, AMD was able to achieve GPU accelerated transcoding speeds up to 19x faster using Cyberlink PowerDirector than when using the same CPU alone with MainConcept encoder in Adobe Premiere CS3. Using the same system, full 1080p files were converted 1.8x faster than real-time.
ATI Radeon™ HD graphics chips have numerous features integrated into the processor itself (e.g., HDCP, HDMI, etc.). Third parties manufacturing products based on, or incorporating ATI Radeon HD graphics chips, may choose to enable some or all of these features. If a particular feature is important to you, please inquire of the manufacturer if a particular product supports this feature. In addition, some features or technologies may require you to purchase additional components in order to make full use of them (e.g. a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive, HDCP-ready monitor, etc.).